Sunday, August 27, 2006

Auditions

Yesterday, we held the first open call auditions we've had in months. We originally scheduled these auditions back when we were planning to shoot Jonah in October. When we pushed the production until after the new year, we decided to keep the audition date open, focusing not so much on specific parts for Jonah, but as part of our ongoing effort to get more familiar with the local talent pool.

The audition was scheduled to run from 10 am to 2 pm. It was fairly slow for the first couple of hours, during which maybe 10 people showed up. But then, the last two hours, we had about 45 people show up. We didn't get out of there until about 3:30.

In general, I was impressed with the caliber of talent we saw. We seem to be drawing more experienced performers. I'd guess that that was partly because more people have heard of us, partly because we haven't had auditions for awhile, and partly because this audition was publicized more heavily in places where our local experienced acting corps hangs out.

Because we do musicals, we draw a lot of talented singers. But one thing I've noticed that many singers do in an audition: they just stand there and sing. What we hope for is for them to become the character that is singing. Move around, look around, feel the pain, the joy, whatever it is the character is feeling. We typically don't have time in an audition to coach them too much, but if we did, that's what I'd tell them. Convince me that you're not a singer singing a song, you're a character expressing your feelings in the language of movie musicals. It happens maybe in one audition out of 10, but when it does, it is cool and makes it worthwhile.

We also get our share of auditioners who are fans of the series and think it would be fun to be in one of our movies. Sometimes they come as families. They may not have a ton of experience or a great voice, but they believe in what we're trying to do and it feels good to see them express their support in this way. They generally know that they are not looking at a lead role, but an opportunity for a secondary role or even part of the ensemble would mean a lot to them. Just nice, nice people. More than once, they expressed their appreciation for what we're doing and their hope that we would be able to keep producing these for a long time. We express our appreciation for their support and told them we'd do our best.

Also, when we audition, I can't help but feel for the actors and their anxiety levels. I can't help but picture one of my daughters as the auditioner and how I hope that they'd be treated is how I try to treat the auditioners. We try to never cut anybody off (unless they completely blow through the time limits we set), and we always try to find something positive to say. I hope that everybody who auditions for us finds it to be a positive experience, even if it doesn't lead right away to a role in one of our shows.

One last note on auditions. I advise my acting daughters and would say the same to anybody who asks, audition as much as you can. It's the truly uncomfortable part of the entire production process, but it is necessary. And the more you do it, the more comfortable the uncomfortableness becomes. Also, I tell my daughters that because they don't control the casting process, that they shouldn't judge their audition on whether or not they got the role, but on how well they did against their own set of criteria. I know, easier said than done, but worthy saying anyway, I think.

I've heard it said that good casting is 90% of the director's job. I'm not exactly sure of the percentage, but I believe the general gist of that is true. Auditions may not be anybody's favorite thing to do, regardless of what side of the table you're sitting on, but it is necessary.

No comments: